Joseph William WINDAYBANK a.k.a. William/Bill, was born 27 Jan 1868 at 26 Brunel Street 1), Lambeth, London. He was baptised 4 Mar 1868, St Peter, West Dulwich, Lambeth, London.
It is likely that his parents were not married (although his father is described as a widower in the 1871 census, and also on his marriage certificate to Susan Thring in 1874). He was raised by his mother's parents, Joseph John and Jane Elizabeth Appelman.
In the early 1890's, he resided in Albert Embankment, moving to 10 Vauxhall Walk at the end of the decade.
He died aged 77 in 1945.
He married Annie Elizabeth BOSHER 30 Jun 1889, St Peter's, Vauxhall.
CHAPTER 32 - VAUXHALL WALK
On the 1745 edition of Rocque's map Vauxhall Walk (or Lowner's Lane) is shown as a lane with hedges and fields on either side leading from Lambeth Butts (Black Prince Road) to Vauxhall Gardens. In 1768 the Duchy of Cornwall granted a building lease of ground on the west side of the road to William Pace and 28 houses were erected there; (fn. 1) of these only 8 survive.
CHAPTER 34 - THE ALBERT EMBANKMENT
The Victoria and the Albert Embankments were constructed at about the same time, but whereas the former ran down-stream from Westminster Bridge to the City, the latter was built up-stream from Westminster Bridge to Vauxhall. The decision as to the position of the embankment on the Surrey side was probably due to several factors; M.P.s wished to improve the view from the windows and terrace of the newly completed Palace of Westminster; old Lambeth, Fore Street, High Street, etc., were flooded whenever there was an exceptionally high tide, and there were various users anxious to take up the new river frontage once the land was reclaimed and embanked. At the northern end a considerable strip of ground was reclaimed, Lambeth Palace Road was constructed on the site of Stangate and Bishop's Walk, and St. Thomas' Hospital and the embankment walk were built on the old boat-building and barge house sites and on reclaimed land. South of Lambeth Bridge, Fore Street and many of the little courts and alleys opening out of it were swept away. At the southern end the Albert Embankment was merged into the street previously known as Vauxhall.